Thursday 11 August 2011

8-12-11 Photo of the Day

This was taken a few days ago as you can tell in the London tube. I was panning while a train was coming into the station.

I saw this guy walking when I was on one side of the street and he was on the other.  I wanted to make an image of him so I crossed the street and caught up to him on the London Bridge.  I could tell he wasn't all there by the way he was dressed, which is what caught my attention to begin with. When I caught up to him, as he was standing at attention facing the street. I raised my camera to take a shot and he came after me. I have been shooting on continues focus lately and it worked out the camera tracked his movement nicely.  He was not threat to me, I stood my ground till he backed off and I went on my way. 

8 comments:

  1. What a character! He looks great against the paler softened background (nice D.O.F). I like that you have London Bridge street sign too.

    Do you crop very much, Gerry? Or just enough to frame them correctly? (I crop often, but try to keep original ratio, except my 1:1s)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the subway shot, a neat trick to get everything blurred but the girl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bill, I tend to correct the horizon more then crop but I am not against cropping. If my subject is lost in the frame or there is a distraction in the frame and I can crop it out I will. For the most part I use prime lenses so I know how far I need to be from my subject to get them in my frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike, panning is fun but its one of those things that if you don't use it often you sort of lose the timing. I used it a lot at the drag racing a couple of weeks ago. It does give a unique look to your images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ger - I really like the subway shot. That was great timing to get the girl in focus and the rest blurred. For some reason, this is my favorite of your subway shots. Great job, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the tube shot. I would echo what Michelle said - great timing to get the girl in focus. I wonder what she's thinking about? She seems lost in thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She does seem lost in thought... and this is why I love street photography.. she gave me a wonderful photo and will never know about it... There are gems like this all over the place, I just need to be ready with the camera to capture them.

    ReplyDelete